It doesn't seem so long ago that I was just starting to home school Lindsay. But that has been 14 years ago that we started that trip. She went to kindergarten and had Cheryl Miller as a teacher. A wonderful teacher at that. We just loved her. She was kind and caring and so good to the kids. And the spring of that year, Columbine happened and our world was forever changed. There were issues at the schools in the few weeks that followed. Threats, hit lists and on and on. This just shook my soul to the bone! So, we decided to home school that fall. 1st grade through 7th grade for Lindsay. Preschool - 6th with CJ. Then they both entered the public school system. No things weren't perfect, but are they ever?! Things actually adjusted very well.
Lindsay went on through school graduated and is now in college. CJ just finished up his freshmen year. She was happy as happy as you can be in school. ;) CJ has not been. She is very social and never meets a stranger, CJ is more like me (well what I used to be) quiet and more to himself. BUT there is NOT a thing wrong with that. Look at me today. LOL I sure am not quiet and I HAVE to have others to survive. Not all the time, but once in a while is good.
After much discussion and mauling it over, we will be back to the home school adventure this fall with CJ. Am I happy? VERY! Is he happy? I would say VERY. :) Do I shirk this responsibility and let him do whatever and never do his work, never test, never this or never that. Umm no! We school! I will not fail my children by not having them do their work.
Why home school? It is a choice we have made, because we feel it will be better for him.
Can he graduate from high school? Not from the public school but he can get a GED, we can have our own graduation, he can go into college with the GED (they gladly welcome home school students), and after researching he can still get the PROMISE Scholarship. :)
Home schooling doesn't give a child a good rounded education? Not sure where that came from, although I have heard it many times. Both of my kids have never suffered socially. We have kept them active in Soccer and 4-H. Both have always tested high on their year end testing. Both going into the public school system have done great. Lindsay carried a 4.0+ through out her high school years. She graduated 6th in her class and went into college and has made the Dean's List every semester with a 4.0. CJ did the same is first two years having a 4.0, this last year as a freshmen he had a 3.75. Well rounded? I think so! Smart? Yes smarter than I ever hope to be! ;)
All kids are different. What is good for one, may not be for the other one. I have two and they are as different as day and night. I'm glad for that. What fun would it be to have 2 exactly alike. Their interests are different. As a parent, you get to enjoy so many different things with each child. I call that blessings.
So this fall, we will be home schooling for the next 3 years, the last 3 years of CJ's high school years. I know this is the right decision for him and know he will do well in all areas as he always has.
And me, yes I am excited! And so blessed to be able to do what I feel called to do. God is SO good!
No comments:
Post a Comment